Saturday, March 10, 2012

R.I.P. Moebius


Sad news. Jean Giraud is dead. I was just looking through my Moebius Oeuvres Complètes from Les Humanoïdes Associés yesterday, marveling at his drawings. The Hermetic Garage, Arzach, Le Bandard Fou... And the Western series Blueberry that he did with Charlier. It's an amazing body of work. Unfortunetaly, I never got to meet him and shake his hand, as a fellow cartoonist. The closest was the first time I was in Angoulême, in 2000. It was the last day of the festival, I was taking a last walk in one of the tents, when I saw him signing prints. I got in line, and after a couple of minutes I had one of the prints, signed, in my hand. It's now framed, hanging on my wall. That was a kind of magical festival for me. It was the first time I was there, they had a great Moebius exhibition, Robert Crumb had a concert and then, unexpectedly, the signed Moebius. Angoulême has never been quite the same after that...

3 comments:

  1. You know of course that this can not be.
    He is Moebius...
    I can only conclude that he has transformed himself into a state of pure energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky to meet Moebius in poland during Comics Festival in Łódź and I also have a photo with him. He always will be an endless inspiration of future comics artists. Pure energy He is... [']

    ReplyDelete