Tuesday, May 17, 2011

And finally, more old heroes

This was a Danish translation of Jaime Hernandez' Locas stories, published in an album format. Gilbert's Heartbreak Soup was also translated. The first issue of Love and Rockets I bought was number 17. And yes, me too, I had a crush on Maggie.

I had several of the Holt, Rinehart and Winston Peanuts books. I've later bought the Fantagraphics books, but I've chosen to hold on to these softcovers. For one thing, the panels are bigger. Anyway, it's still a masterpiece.

To end this series of comics I read in the 80s, during my teens and early twenties, I have to go back to Tintin. It's still the major influence on how I draw, and for anyone who wants to learn how to tell a story in pictures, I think you can do a lot worse than study the work of Hergé.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the old heroes – very illuminating! I got to meet one of mine, Lorenzo Mattotti, recently at TCAF. Reading FIRES, when I was about 13 or 14, opened my eyes to a whole different world of comics.

    On another note, I read ISLE OF 100,000 GRAVES on the weekend, after finding it at The Beguiling. I wasn't sure what to expect before I read it, with it being a collaboration and all. And...I LOVED it! It fits perfectly with your other works, so I would say the cooperative effort was a complete success! (Did you and Vehlmann work together on the story before he wrote the script? It would be interesting to know more about how the collaboration worked, if you're willing to share.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Fires was another book that made a big impression. I should have included it in these posts.
    I'm glad you liked Isle of 100,000 Graves. No, Vehlmann and I didn't work on the story together, but he wrote the script with me in mind. We recently did an interview about our collaboration for a comic book site. I'll put up a link on the blog when it's published.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Mattotti kindly signed my copy of Fires with a lovely pastel sketch, which I wasn't expecting! It's pretty great.

    I look forward to reading that interview.

    Honestly, your work is superb. I could read it quite endlessly.

    ReplyDelete